Thursday, June 14, 2012

Creating Alternate Realities



As a photographer, I'm used to capturing reality by photographing what is.  I may present it from a different perspective through my choices of composition, exposure, lens, etc., but I'm still basically portraying what is. 

I also want to create new realities by modifying what is.  I prefer to do this "in camera" rather than using Photoshop so I recently tried a technique I had known about but never used; taking multiple exposures on the same image.  The idea is to slightly move the camera between exposures to make the subject less defined, thus creating an image that is more impressionistic or abstract.  The number of exposures, up to 10 on my camera, and the direction and degree of movement determine the results.

To be honest, I saw the technique in Tony  Sweet's Fine Art Nature Photography: Advanced Techniques and the Creative Process, a book that Lee had bought me some time ago when I guess I wasn't quite ready for it.  But when I looked at it again recently, I knew it was something I had to try.

The first photo is day lilies in my front yard.  The second is my next door neighbor's back yard.  Both have five exposures on the same image.  Lightroom was used to crop and modify color balance, which I did to focus the viewer's attention on the shapes and colors by making the subject less obvious.  I'm going to have to do more of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment